Monday, February 2, 2009

Honking in Hong Kong!

I am in Hong Kong right now! Can anybody believe that??  We have done so so much walking around. Hong Kong is really exciting and even though it is only a dot on the map, Its HUGE!! To be honest, it really just reminds me of any other big city. It is full of two story buses, sky scrapers, huge billboards and smokers. The main different is it is full of Asians who believe that ALL Americans are filthy rich. I learned really fast that waiting for crosswalks is out of the question and carrots are sold four times their normal size. We are only staying for two days and so we are doing everything we can possibly fit in.
Nothing is impossible when it comes to hauling supplies with a bike. Everyone rides around on bikes like this in China and you would be so surprised when you actually saw how much they can carry. We have seen families of five all squeeze onto these rickety forms of transportation.
The Hong Kong Temple is beautiful. We got to talk to the temple president and his wife. They were so nice and happy to see us.
We got to go on a boat ride in Aberdeen! :) Apparently you "haven't seen all of Hong Kong if you haven't seen Aberdeen, and you haven't seen all of Aberdeen if you haven't been on the boat ride". I would like to lead on that we were really lucky to fulfill this quota. I mean its not like there is any way we could see ALL of Hong Kong without that little portion so they are in no way lying to us. It just seems like they are pointing out an extremely obvious statement. But hey, why am I complaining? I point out all the most obvious things all the time.
The boat ride was really great! :)  Our guide was very interesting though. He didn't speak much English at all and every few minutes he would shout something in Cantonese. At least I assume it was cantonese... If it was English then I believe he was saying all his words wrong because it was completely foreign to me. Out of the entire boat ride the only things I got out of it were 'village', 'houseboat', and 'Hong Kong'.
I just had my first squatter experience. It was more difficult than I had previously expected. End of story.
It doesn't matter how comfortable your shoes are. Your feet will start hurting at some point in time. Thankfully, foot massages are really cheep in China! :) 

No comments: